Tuesday, June 5, 2012

On Citations and APA Style

It's amazing how a little thing like the formatting and style of citations can become a big deal. Some students dread citations, although I've always found them to be more annoying than actually difficult. There are, after all, style guides that lay out pretty much a single way of doing them for any specific situation. Sometimes they get a little confusing, but Google is your friend in most cases.

I face a situation that I'm sure most everyone faces at some point in their academic life: I've always been told to use MLA formatting for as far back as I can remember, and now one of my courses requires the use of APA formatting for citations. Not the biggest deal, but something that I'm going to need to review and double check myself on when writing the single paper that requires its use.

After some quick searching, I've found some useful resources and places to find specifics about citing certain sources (including my Kindle formatted textbook for the class).

  • apastyle.org - This seems to be the official site of the official style guide. Lots of useful articles and Q&A-style posts that show up in search results.
  • Purdue OWL - This was a site that I used for MLA guidance, and it seems to have a great free collection of APA how-tos as well. I highly recommend it.
  • Cornell - Cornell has a nice, simple example page for various citation styles.
If I've missed an obvious resource, please let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment