Monday, July 16, 2012

Summer 2012 Update: Three-quarters of the way

A little personal note: I write these update posts to keep myself accountable, and appreciate that you're reading this! I aim for A's in all my university classes. I think that is the only way to approach education (aim high). I know that some people may not agree with this, and that's fine, but I always discuss my grades with that in mind. When you see me say "I need XX points," I'm almost always speaking in terms of how close I am to getting an A overall.


Well, it's been six weeks since the Summer 2012 semester started for me at UIS. That means we're in the home stretch with two more weeks to go, and I can get a pretty good idea of where I stand in terms of grades. The two classes I'm taking this summer are Emerging Disease and The Internet & American Life. Both have been interesting classes thus far.

I'm doing well in both classes at this point. Week 6 was really crunch time in both classes; an 8-12 page final paper was due in Emerging Diseases, and the penultimate review of a recent PEW Report needed to be posted for Internet & American Life.

About the last two weeks worth of grades for Emerging Diseases have yet to be posted, but I do know that I have a 100/110 running total (about 91%, although the final grade will be out of 320 points). That final paper is worth 80 points by itself, so I should be in good shape if that turns out well. I have 22 points (out of the 320) of leeway to maintain an A.

As for The Internet & American Life, I'm currently running a grade of 55/55 (100%). The week 6 project is 15 of those points, followed by weeks 7 & 8 being worth 15 and 20 points, respectively. Class participation will make up the last 5 points. That class is a straight 100 points possible, so I need to net 35 of the 45 remaining points.

These 8-week courses are really hectic at times, and a little slip up here or there can have a huge impact on overall grades. It will really be a a relief when I finish up week 8 and can take a few weeks off before the next semester starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment